Texas Counties Deliver – learn how county government serves you
Veterans Service Officer

Eric Posern
Veterans Service Officer

Washington County Courthouse Annex
105 W. Main Street, Suite 102
Brenham, Texas 77833

Fax: (979)277-6259

Office hours are from 8 AM – 1 PM Monday to Friday.

Please call or come by for an appointment.


The Washington County Veterans Service Office is responsible for assisting veterans and/or their dependents and survivors in obtaining entitled benefits from the U. S. Department of Veteran Affairs and the State of Texas. Our purpose is to help veterans, dependents of veterans, and their survivors deal with the often confusing and overwhelming task of completing the necessary forms and applications required by the Department of Veteran Affairs in order to support a claim for benefits.

  • There are various benefit programs that veterans, dependents of veterans, and their survivors may be entitled to. Listed below are some of the federal veterans' benefits.

    • Health Care Services (10-10EZ)
    • Service Connected Disability Compensation (SC)
    • Non-Service Connected Pension (NSC)
    • Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
    • Death Pension
    • Burial Benefits
    • Vocational/Rehabilitation Programs
    • VA Guaranteed Home Loans
    • VA Educational Assistance (MGIB)
    • Veterans Life Insurance (SGLI)
    • Board of Veteran Appeals
    • Military Funeral Honors
    For additional information concerning these and other benefit programs, you may contact the Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) directly by calling the toll free number, 1-800-827-1000 or by accessing the DVA web site at http://www.va.gov.

Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion

  • State benefits that veterans may be entitled to are:
    • Land Programs
    • Housing Assistance
    • Home Improvement
    • State Veterans Homes
    • State Veterans Cemeteries
    • Educational Assistance (Hazelwood Act)
    • Employment and Reemployment Assistance
    • Vocational Employment and Job Training Programs
    • Special License Plates
    • Tax Exemption for Veterans
    • Free Recording of Discharges (DD-214)
    For additional information regarding State of Texas veterans' benefits, you may call the toll free Texas Veterans Hot Line at 1-800-252-8387 or by accessing the Texas Veterans Commission (TVC) web site at http://www.tvc.texas.gov or the Texas Veterans Land Board (TVLB) at http://www.glo.texas.gov.

Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion

  • All veterans benefits both federal and state require proof of service. This is your DD-214 Separation of Service from the Armed Forces. It is extremely important that this document be safeguarded. One way to safeguard this document is to record it with the County Clerk. Under Local Government Code, Sec. 192.002, the County Clerk must record this document free of charge for all veterans who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. It should be noted, however, that the DD-214 would become a public record. If you have not recorded your DD-214 in the County Clerk's Office, and it has been lost or destroyed, you can request another one from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Mo., by completing Form SF-180. It should be noted that many records of Army and Air Force personnel who served during WWI, burned in a fire in 1973, and cannot be reproduced. A Certificate of Service will be issued in place of the discharge document and will serve as proof of service. For additional information regarding this process, contact our office or visit the web site http://www.archives.gov.

Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion